Tuesday, August 5, 2008

1st Dose of Chemo down

Just wanted to report that they did finally get my chemo started about 12:30p. It ran for 2 hours and so far I feel okay. I took them up on their offer for some IV ativan to cut down on the nausea (and to sleep through it). I did sleep in that groggy, chemically way for about 3 hours this afternoon. Woke up to see Holly walking in with 3 Locopops we shared (cookies and cream, bananna cream, and mexican chocolate).

This chemo med (Ara-c or cytarabine) can be toxic to the brain at these high doses so they do what they call neuro checks to make sure I am not getting goofy. I know that I am already goofy and that chemo affects my thinking (and so do plenty of you who sent me emails or e-photos that I couldn't remember getting the last time I was here); this time probably won't be different. Anyway, they do a number of tests before and after the 2 hr infusion to make sure that they aren't hurting my brain. They make me sign my name, touch my finger from my nose to their finger, walk in a straight heel to toe, balance on 1 foot, balanace standing up with my hands out flat and my eyes closed, etc. It's a little like the tricks a state trooper might use to see if you've had too much to drink. So far I've passed but I bet it can get a little dicey on those 5th or 6th doses. I'll report back for sure. And if I fail to return any emails or seem out of it, you'll know I have a good excuse.

1 comment:

miriam said...

Congrats on making it through your first dose of chemo. I hope you continue to feel good for as long as possible and that the rest of your week goes well. Lots of love,
Miriam