Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Do Muscles Melt?


I promptly got to it this morning thinking I'd get a little workout in before my sister Beth woke up. Holly had left early for work so it was just me and Beth left to fend for ourselves. Yesterday I did a workout on the rowing machine so I decided to jog this morning. Whoa, what a difference from Monday. I couldn't get as far along the route I usually do before needing to stop to catch my breath. And I had that trembly muscle thing again too, but worse. I think it is fair to say that this is the part where the chemo really takes its toll. I had to finish the route alternating between walking and running. I suppose it might get worse to the point where I am only strong enough to walk. Oh well, I got stronger after a few weeks last time and I am sure this time won't be different. But golly, it's amazing to me how different the very same route could feel in only 2 days. That's why I wonder if muscles can melt.

I do have a plan though. I am trying again to add that Whey protein to my diet. I think I might need more than just calories for the weight thing. For example, I need fat to better absorb my anti-fungal pneumonia med (still have to take that one for a month). Someone said you are what you eat. With this leukemia and its treatment you get some very real feedback on that. If you don't eat enough in general, your weight drops. If you don't have fruits and veggies, your potassium and magnesium drop. If you don't eat enough protein, your muscles dwindle. Wildy. So I am trying to be good and take in all of my building blocks.

Well gotta go have some lunch to rebuild.

1 comment:

Julia said...

What, no chocolate? I'm sure it's critical for building muscle, as well as those crucial cells in the part of the brain responsible for laughter and love. You docs just need a little more training in nutrition. :)
Enjoy the caloric and nutrient intake in all its many forms and your morning workout.
Love, Julia