Tuesday, August 5, 2008

In the Hospital Now


My sister Becky drove me to Duke this morning, and we swiftly moved through the admitting process about 8am. We headed up to my new room, #9210, and got situated unpacking my clothes for the next 5 days. So far I've had my ht, wt, blood pressure, and temperature measured. My nurse, who is very new to this unit, has hooked me up to some IV fluids, but I am still waiting on the chemo to arrive from the hospital pharmacy. One can never be in a hurry at the hospital. Everything happens on hospital time. If I start this dose at 1pm then the next dose will be at 1am. Ouch! They are going to pre-medicate me with 2 different drugs prior to the chemo to prevent as much nausea as possible. This time my same Nurse Practitioner Student, Brian, advised that I allow them to medicate me with Ativan to ward off the nausea and stay a little sleepy during the 5 days. I'll try that once things get going and see if that improves the symptoms.

Becky just came back yesterday morning from Asheville where she had spent the w-e with my mom and step father. They all stayed at our Asheville house, doing all the fun Asheville things we like to do. They went around the corner to our favorite Pizza and Brew place, shopped for pottery and other handmade crafts down at Biltmore Village, and even had dinner Sunday night at our favorite Inn. I had asked Becky to pick me up some of the special soap they sell at the Sourwood Inn because it reminds of so many good times that Holly and I have had there (you know that old Remembrance of things Past...). To my great surprise, Susan Curtis who is the owner, innkeeper, and just the nicest person you could ever meet, gave Becky 2 soaps to bring to me as a gift. She also sent many well wishes as I take chemo again.

Holly and I went to the Sourwood Inn for dinner our last Sunday in Asheville. They are a B and B but also do terrific dinners on Thursday through Sunday nights. Kacia, the chef, does magic with food. The setting is incredible, just up the mtn from Asheville and off the Blue Ridge Parkway. They have the best view down the mtn and into the valley below. The Inn itself has many big stone fireplaces and is decorated in the Arts and Crafts style. Every room has a sweeping view down the mtn both from the bedroom and the soaker tub in the bath. And they stock the rooms with this great smelling soap, as I said. Holly and I try to go there for dinner once each month or two and stay at the Inn several times a year. Our last visit that Sunday when we went for dinner, Susan let us stay at the Inn for free since she knew that I would be starting treatment soon. It was an incredibly gracious gift and one we appreciated very much. They have been very, very good to us over the years.

If you are looking for a place to stay in Asheville or just a short 15 mins up the mtn, consider the Sourwood Inn. Susan Curtis and Kacia will take good care of you, and you'll feel like you're staying at a real retreat. This photo is Holly sitting on the covered deck in the back of the Inn as we wait for our dinner time. We usually go up early to have a glass of wine and enjoy the view or sunset.

1 comment:

Julia said...

I'd like to visit the Sourwood Inn sometime. Maybe we can all go there for dinner or brunch the next time we are all in Asheville.
Have a good night.
--Julia