Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Back in the Saddle Again


Well I'm back in my saddle, umm, recliner at the clinic waiting for my labs to come back. This is the start of the outpatient part of my treatment with visits here daily to follow my blood counts. It is really quiet here today with far fewer people than I usually encounter. I don't mind; it's nice to have lots of room and the nurses all to ourselves.

I had a better night last night, sleeping well. It was so cool and crisp at our house that we slept with the windows open. It actually got down to 55F-almost mountain weather. I did a row on the rowing machine this morning and then went for a short walk around the neighborhood. Today, I can feel the effects of the chemo on my muscles, which feel all trembly. I think the chemo must punch holes in the muscles, and then it's hard to use them. It is much more of a struggle than I'd like. But I will accept that the important thing is to try, to move the blood around, to combat all the fatigue and not to be exactly where I was before all of this happened. It's just not going to be for a while.

I don't know how all of the other patients in the clinic deal with their fatigue and weakness. I don't know if they exercise or walk or just succumb to it. We are all friendly with each other as we pass in the clinic but no one shares much about their own struggle. It's like there is an unwritten rule that you keep it to yourself. Of course, the nurses ask us specifically about our symptoms-nausea, appetite, pain, fatigue, etc-and we tell them in full detail. But there is something about sharing it with another patient that is a no-no.

I just met the new Oncology fellow here in the clinic. He seems so young-they all do. Guess they have started taking people straight out of High School into the medical school programs. Naw, it's just the way it is as they get younger and I get older.

Today's photo is my sister Becky and her toy poodle Ariel. They will be on their way back to Atlanta in about 2 hours. Thanks for everything!

No comments: