Friday, August 8, 2008

2/3 of Chemo Done


Last night I got my fourth dose of the ARA-C, infused from 11p-1am. So today is a rest day. Hopefully they will unhook me from my IV pole and the fluids they are giving me (just sugar water with some salt in it). Then I will be free to roam, wander, walk around and go back down to campus or the gardens. Becky and I did that 2 days ago and it was good to get out and strectch my legs in the afternoon after being cooped up in this small hospital room. The days that i get the chemo I don't notice quite as much since the ativan med they give for nausea makes me nap for several hours each time. Today I should just have my regular stuff-nothing to make me extra special drowsy.

I've been up for about an hour and a half now. Just waiting for Holly to pop in for her morning visit before work. I wanted to be up and at em before she got here for a change. They wake me up so much in the night it's been hard to get up early and beat her visit. But I did it today. I've already been down to the treadmill, which they fixed from yesterday. I did 2 miles at a 3.5 mph pace with the incline set at 8%. That got me sweating and breathing so I am happy. I am also trying to keep up with my push up regimen while I'm in here. Last time I was too weak to do them and after starting back 6 weeks later I could only do 5. I am hopeful I can keep building back up to my 50 per day and maintain even when my counts drop, and I feel weaker.

The nausea and stomach symptoms have been pretty good this time. I have little twinges here and there but nothing major like last time. Maybe I'll even be able to eat enough to gain wt, although the food here is pretty awful, very samey. Those treats from home are the highlight of my day.

1 comment:

RLaszlo said...

Glad you are going quickly through your infusions. I hope your day goes nicely. Tonight Sara and I drive to our beach, to get some of that beach magic you know so well. Linda will join us this weekend, but as you know we get the whole week there. We've be back by Saturday night because we're photographing our friends Jan and Trish in the Danskin bike/swim/run on Sunday morning 8/17. Meanwhile, we've geared up for our CHina trip. Did you know silk sleeping "bags" roll into somethign the size of a big sausage? We'll ahve that in case some of the sheets are sketchy. The books say the hotel rooms there vary greatly in cleanliness, so we need to take our prissy American sensibilities and figure a way to be happy with whatever we get. We're quite excited... it's shaping up to be a great itinerary.