Friday, August 29, 2008

My Hilly Accomplishment



We are in Asheville having left the Triangle early Thursday afternoon. We wanted to leave early so that we could meet up with Susan for a trip to the Pisgah Brewing Co which has a tasting room open Thursdays from 4p-8p. Pisgah is the only brewery in Asheville that we have never visited. They had a big open field by their tasting room with a bluegrass band playing. It felt like a picnic because they were grilling food for sale while people played horseshoes, bocci ball, and frisbee golf in the field. Jill, Holly's sister, got to sample a real slice of Asheville what with the beer, the music, and all the hanging out.

Yesterday my clinic visit went well; all of my counts are increasing. I am doing well. For some unexplained reason, my doctor and physician assistant want to see me in the clinic next Wed for a regular visit and then start my chemo the following week. I had been told that my next round would start on Tuesday Sept 2, but that has now been pushed back to Sept 8th or 9th. While I will enjoy the extra time as my bone marrow makes more and more blood and white cells, I wanted to get on to the next round of chemo as soon as possible (the sooner to be done with the whole course you see). But I am not in control of these things, and I keep getting reminded of that, darn it.

After my clinic visit yesterday, I drove to Carrboro to see my pal Leo before he moves his family to Texas to start their new lives. They were in their apartment even though the movers had already taken their furniture. I finally got to meet his two girls Isabel and Alejandra. Of course, we took some pictures shown above.

Since we are now in Asheville, I wanted to do my hill run this morning. It was 63F and still a bit foggy when I started. Last w-e when Holly and I did the hill run, it was more of a hill walk for me. I was just too out of breath to jog up that steep hill behind our house. I was quite excited today to be able to jog the entire hill, go down the back side, and then run it again in reverse. What an improvement in one short week-to run 4 miles with 2 rather steep hills. Fantastic!

We'll be enjoying the Labor day w-e here in Asheville. Holly and Jill have just gone off to Beaver Lake to bird watch while I make brownies. You have a good Labor day too.

1 comment:

Henry said...

glad to see such a good w-e. Love Dad