Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Historic Hillsborough


I got 2 units of red cells yesterday in the clinic for my low blood count. I feel all zippy and energetic now with all that extra blood. When I look at the bag of blood hanging there it is pretty remarkable that our bodies can make that and more to spare so that someone can give me extra. And when the chemo gets out of my system or stops exerting its effects on my bone marrow, I'll make my own bag of blood and more to restore my blood count back to its starting level. It really is pretty remarkable when you think of it that way. I am so glad they gave me the blood instead of waiting for my levels to drop below 8.0. It is nice to feel all zippy and have an easier time rowing in the morning, like I did this morning. Soon I'll be at the nadir for this cycle of chemo and my bone marrow will be building all those calls on its own. Cool.

I walked down to Weaver St Market to get some breakfast goodies from the day old section to share while my mom is here. They had lots to choose from, but I bought us some chocolate croissants and pecan sticky buns. Those should go nicely with my anti-fungal medicine that I am still taking for the (now old) pneumonia. That med is supposed to be taken with a full meal or high fat food. Those treats should fit the bill perfectly. And yes, Shannon (my MD pal from Aville who asked some medical questions) I am on the anti-fungal med for another 2 weeks. They wanted me to have a month more of the med after my last doctor's visit. Yes, the blurry vision thing is both eyes. They think the chemo is relaxing the muscles of my eyes. If it's like the other muscles in my body, they don't seem to contract as hard or as forcefully. No big deal. It will get better eventually.

I took my camera with me on my walk downtown so that I could take some pictures of historic Hillsborough. I am running out of good pictures to use with my blog each day. I haven't been able to go too many new places recently, so I am not replenishing my stock very well. This photo is the old slave cemetary that is on our run. I think of those two big trees as an old slave couple buried together and reicarnated as two big beautiful trees side by side.

Susan, Donna Z, Holly and I were to be hiking Mt LeConte in the Smoky Mtns today and tomorrow. Mt LeConte is one of those glorious hikes that winds its way up to 6000 ft or so over 5 miles. The views are incredible. We would have been staying in one of the little cabins up there tonight and hiking back down tomorrow. Donna Z changed her job situation recently so she couldn't go. For obvious reasons, Holly and I couldn't make it either. Well, fortunately Susan is going with our friends Donna W and Ellen. You guys have a terrific climb and tell us about it. Bring back fun and funny stories. We'll do it again next year.

No comments: