Saturday, August 9, 2008

The Last Double Dose of Chemo


Today is my final day of double dose chemo for this round. My counts haven't plummeted yet so I won't have to follow up in the clinic until Tuesday morning. That is also the day Becky flies out and Beth flies in. We'll have to figure out how to juggle all the places we have to be and the times we have to be there. I think Beth comes in 1 hr or so after Becky leaves. We'll get it.

Yesterday they took me off the fluids again and I got to wander around. I went for a nice walk around campus in the morning. I went to see my old undergrad haunts, the Chemistry department building and my old dorm. Well the Chemistry building is now the Law School annex. The Chemistry department is now in a new bigger general science building a little closer to the student center and main campus. My old dorm is still there but now there are several other dorms around that have filled in the open spaces. It is amazing to me how much building has gone on here at Duke in the last 25 yrs. Building all over the undergrad campus as well as the medical center. They are still putting up new buildings in the medical center, even though you wonder where they will go.

If all goes well, I'll be going home tomorrow morning after the doctor team rounds. I can't wait. I am happy to be feeling pretty good. I don't have much appetite but then that isn't new. I've had that problem since the last chemo. I try hard to eat as much as I can but I get full really fast.

Last night Holly went by Pop's restaurant and picked up wood fired pizzas from their new venture. We went over to the Duke gardens to eat dinner. Ah, the advantage of being off fluids and being free to wander. It gets pretty boring in this small room all the time. Well I'll be able to eat on my own covered porch soon enough. I hear the weather is cooler and less humid. I hope that keeps up until I get out and at least get to experience that for myself.

3 comments:

Julia said...

hope your last day of chemo goes well. glad you'll soon be sprung from the confines of your hospital room. here's wishing you a cool, dry morning on the screen porch tomorrow! Laurie, Ely and I plan to do a long hike in Umstead Park today.
I have to look at my schedule on Tuesday yet, but I may be able to help with drop off/pick up of your sisters. I'l let you know.
Have a good day. Enjoy the Olympics.
--Julia

Unknown said...

Teresa, don't underestimate the strong and deep web that supports you. I think of you and send good thoughts your way. lisa eby Asheville

Liza said...

Glad you got a little freedom to roam. We are keeping tabs on you here and we look forward to seeing you soon. Good thoughts your way. Liza